Thursday, April 7, 2011

I'm Going to Africa!

Well, it's official - I'm going to Ethiopia in a short month and a half to help start up a school for children with autism! I feel so blessed to have been given this opportunity, and even more blessed for my family and employer who have decided to help me get there and take valuable resources to share with the school. I have heard heartbreaking stories about families who can not afford to send their children to the ONLY school for autism in all of Ethiopia, and have to leave them at home - alone and sometimes confined to small spaces - while they go to work. In fact, the only autism center currently available has 800 children on the waiting list. Although it can not help them all, Nehemiah Autism Center will be a wonderful resource for many of these families and will change the lives of the children who attend.

I will be leaving on the 24th of May, and returning on the 11th of June. I plan on keeping this blog updated as much as possible while I am there so that I can share the experience and keep everyone who is invested in this trip involved as much as possible. If you are interested in helping, I could use prayers, funds, and resources for the classroom. Check back in the next couple of weeks and I will hopefully have more information on the school and an update on the preparations we are making!

http://www.neh-autism.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment