Thursday, May 26, 2011

MCM Hospital

Well today confirmed I am in the right field – and I did not miss my calling as a doctor. We awoke this morning to a beautiful sunny day (which came and went throughout the afternoon). Breakfast was at 7:10 sharp, and the food served in the guest house throughout the day was Korean… all the food. MCM Hospital is better known in the area as the Korean Hospital, as it is run by Koreans. And, because they run the show, the food is theirs as well. It will take some getting used to, but I have met a few nurses who gave me great advice: “The redder the sauce, the hotter it is.”
After breakfast, Linda and I (Linda is the nurse from Oregon who came with Dr. Koning) were given a tour of the hospital. This is when I realized I was not cut out to be a doctor. I can handle the occasional classroom with a cold, or the student with the flu who really should have stayed at home… but to be in a hospital with questionable sanitation policies, surrounded by individuals who are so sick they have come to the emergency room was a bit too much for my stomach to handle. I thank God that there are wonderful people out there who enjoy this type of service, but it was not my calling.
The tour of the hospital was fascinating. I found myself being highly impressed with all that they have while at the same time being shocked at the things that they are missing. They have a brand new CT, wards for patients (3 floors, depending on your class), a NICU, ICU, OR, recovery room, ER, reception, cafeteria… from my very limited knowledge of a hospital, it seemed to have just about every room that it needed and they were all staffed and stocked. However, there were also things missing. In the ER there is nowhere for the doctors to wash their hands. There are about 10 beds, side by side, and 2 examining rooms. Not one of these areas has a hand washing station. Linda asked about this and the ER nurse said that sometimes they do not even have hand sanitizer or gloves. There was also an open tub of some sort of cleaner, where they would soak the ventilator tube (yes, singular) to be reused. Finally, with all the AIDS and other diseases in Africa, I was saddened to see that their method of disposal for needles in the ER is an empty water bottle placed on the floor. What a different world we live in. The bottom line is that these people are receiving incredible medical care, and the doctors and nurses at the hospital are willing to do whatever it takes to provide it.
After our hospital tour we had a Korean lunch, followed by a tour of the town. We did not go far – only within walking distance – but it was nice to see some of the culture of Ethiopia. There were fresh fruit and vegetable stands that looked delicious, followed by open air butchers with flies on the meat. There were also herds of goats on the side of the road that you could purchase and take home for fresh meat. The people are very friendly, and the children all wave and say “hi!” The people in Ethiopia do not speak English unless they went into higher education, so the majority of people that we will meet and almost everyone that comes into the hospital speaks no English. However, the hospital itself uses English to communicate with each other, as it is the most commonly spoken language between all the foreigners.
Tonight we were supposed to visit with the school director and his staff and visit the school building. African time kills me. We were supposed to meet at 5:30 and be done by 7pm and I was going to start work at the school tomorrow. The director did not show up until 6:30 (which is typical I guess) and we had gone to our room to wait for him. By the time he came, Dr. Koning had another appointment and we missed each other. However, I do have some good news that he shared with Dr. Koning. The school has 12 students and many staff (how many I am not sure yet). They were given furniture, a computer, funding, and a van for transportation. Just a month ago they were unsure how they were going to pull it all together, and today they can’t believe how much has happened. Thank you for your prayers! Please continue to pray that things move along, as I will be meeting with the school staff on Saturday afternoon and hopefully working with them there on Monday.
As for tomorrow (Friday), Dr. Koning has said I may spend the day with him in the OR since I will not be at the school. What a great opportunity! I don’t think I will be squeamish in there, but I guess I will have to try it first before I know. Good thing I brought my scrubs (thanks Sarah!).
Lindsay

P.S. Thanks to Brad for posting this since I can't from here!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (^^^OOPPPS^^^^ allow me to try that again so it doesn't look like you are talking in the 3rd person lol)

    Sounds like you are having and crazy but awesome experience. I'm so happy you got the opportunity to go!

    P.S. ...now go to sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete