Friday, June 10, 2011

Thursday and Friday

Well I realize I fell behind once again... but this time it was for a very strange reason. The Ethiopian government blocked all blogspot.com's so that no one in the country could access them. I am not sure why, or when exactly it happened, but now I am in Germany and can write about my last few days. Also, one more note about Wednesday - they had large crates staked in the kitchen that were full of teaching supplies. WAY more than I thought they had! We went through most of them and they are wonderful. There was a large sensory box, and smaller math, geography, history, etc. They have enough to really get started! I can't wait to hear how they start off next week.

Thursday was supposed to be "goodbye" and my touristy day. When they picked me up in the morning from the hospital, I was told we had a meeting they wanted me to attend. We pulled up to FH Ethiopia (food for the hungry) and had an appointment with the country director. Amazing! I was so happy to be a part of this meeting and make this international connection. The director talked a bit about what it is that they do, and then the women from the school made a brief proposal asking him to help the needy families that would be attending the school. Unfortunately, there were no funds that could be used in this way at this time. However, he wanted them to stay in contact and he was going to send their proposal to a few other people. 

We then went out for coffee and cake and I had a wonderful rest of the day. A woman who had come to training a few days asked if I would spend the day with her, and we went shopping, out to lunch, visited her home (and her week old German shephard puppies!), and then went out to dinner with her husband and sister. Everyone was so wonderful, and I couldn't have had a better final day with the women from the school.

Friday was spent packing up and saying some more goodbyes to people at the hospital. The women from the school dropped by again to drop off some gifts and then I went out to dinner with Dr. Koning, Linda, and some others from the medical group. It was a great goodbye, and I honestly wasn't ready to leave. Ethiopia is such a wonderful country, and I can't wait to return one day with Eric. The people are what makes the country, and I couldn't have had a better experience. I was welcomed into homes, met beautiful families, and feel very blessed to have been able to go on this journey. Thank you again for everyone's prayers and words of encouragement. They made a world of a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment