Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tuesday and Wednesday


Sorry to have gotten so far behind on my journals! The past couple days were very long, and I didn’t get home in time to type out my thoughts. Hopefully I can give you a good recap of everything that happened.

The plan for Tuesday was to set up the classrooms and go over the teaching materials that I brought. However, more children kept coming in for assessment, so we continued the assessments. The women at the school said that they hear about what is happening, and they show up without any notice hoping to have their children assessed. The morning was spent with 3 children and their families, and then the afternoon was spent going out to 2 homes to do assessments. These two families were very poor, and could not afford to travel into the city while we were doing assessments at the school. I think it is wonderful of the women at the school to take the time to come to the families and hopefully give them some answers.

The first home we went to was not accessible by car, so I got a very unique look at how some people live. We parked as far up an alley as we could, but it became very narrow and broken up. We started to walk around the alleys and eventually found our way into a narrow pathway that led to about 5 homes which were back to back. The home we entered was at the end of the pathway. It was very small (just one tight room) and beautifully decorated. They had painted the walls green and had put a lot of effort into making their little house a home. I was part of a team of 4 (the two women, a camera man, and myself), so we all crowded into the room and started the assessment. It continues to amaze me how much these children are loved. I am not saying that children in the U.S. are not loved as much, because I believe that they most definitely are. But here it just seems to be so much more visible and public.

The second home we visited was very similar, just one small room where a mother and her two children lived. This boy was 14, and spent all day locked in this room while his mother and sister worked. They have no other options to keep him safe, and they can’t afford to take any time off. When I asked about his interest in toys, or how he plays with objects in the house, she said she is not sure. He does not have anything to play with – he has never had a toy, because they can not afford anything other than the food they eat. Again, this child was so loved. You could see in his eyes how much he loved his mother, and how much she reciprocated that love. I can’t imagine having to leave your child with autism locked in the house all day while you work, but that is the only way she can guarantee his safety.

I think that having a social setting like the school for these children would be wonderful. They would be able to blossom so much… but there is one huge issue that worries me. When I asked the first family about their son’s interactions with people, they could not comment because he has never met someone his own age, and he has only been in contact with his immediate family members. How then will he react when you take him out of his home and into a school he has never seen with people he has never met? And the other child, who has never had a toy… what will he think when he arrives at a school full of busy children and colorful toys? I worry that they will be overwhelmed and scared – that the environment might be too much for them because of their limited exposure thus far. The school and I talked about this, and they share my same concerns. Ideally the school would be a wonderful place for them to learn new skills, socialize, and give their families time to work knowing their children are safe. Realistically I think it will take a long time and a lot of slow encouragement for them to get used to the new environment.

On Wednesday we finally talked about classroom set up and the supplies that I brought. We went through each of the teaching materials and I described how I would use them in my own classroom and how I would use them at Nehemiah. They are having special tables made for the children, so we also talked about how to design them – it was a great discussion! They have had many people give them input on what the tables should look like, so we compiled all of the information (plus some of my own ideas) and came up with a design to be made. We also wrapped up the training by going over a summary of everything we had talked about. I had been taking notes all week about the discussions we were having, and I gave them my notes along with answering any remaining questions they had. Today was my last day of official training – but I have given them my contact information in case they have any remaining questions and also so that they can keep me updated on the school. The children are supposed to arrive next week, so I am looking forward to their first email!

The afternoon was spent going to an orphanage with the medical group I came with. We were able to tour the compound and it is amazing what all they do here. They provide all services for free at the clinic – including prescriptions! If your child is sick, you can bring them for no charge, and keep coming back for medications as needed. They supply many medications for AIDs, and there is no age limit for these drugs. If you need them, they will be provided. What a wonderful and uplifting place this was!

I am running out of time to tell you more, so I will post this for now and hopefully continue tonight. Thank you again for all your prayers and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment